Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving - Preparing Edition

I love Thanksgiving!

I'm heading to Kansas City. Home of the Chiefs, the Royals, and my Dad!! It's my favorite place to have Thanksgiving. My dad is the youngest of 10 kids, so there are lots and lots of uncles, aunts, cousins, 2nd cousins, and 1st cousins once removed that get together to celebrate. This year is super awesome because I convinced my sister that if she really loved me she would make the trip from Maryland to Kansas City also. Which means that my dad, me, my sister, and my daughter will all be under the same roof for like 4 days! It sounds sad, but it has been forever since we've all been together. Damn living in different parts of the country.

Last year, Kaeli and I flew to KC. I'm a nervous flyer. The take off and landing freak me out every time. It's so bad that Kaeli reaches over to hold my hand when the plane starts moving. She loves flying, and tells me I'm silly for being scared. Role reversal much? This year, I decided to make it a ROADTRIP. The plan is to leave tonight for Rob's house, stay the night, and then the 3 of us will make the 8 hour drive to KC early Wednesday. It's really not that bad because I plan on making Rob do all the driving. I have the 4th Twilight book, Breaking Dawn, to read. I can't be expected to focus on the road!

Did y'all catch the very important part of the above paragraph? Rob is coming with me. To my dad's. For Thanksgiving. My dad met Rob once before we were dating, but claims he has no recollection of it. Which means, that Rob and my dad are meeting for the first time. At my dad's house. For Thanksgiving. I'm bringing a boy to my dad's house. For Thanksgiving. So weird. It's almost like I'm a grown up in a serious relationship or something.

The even weirder part is that my sister is bringing her new boyfriend suitor gentleman caller male companion friend. I don't really know what to call him because, apparently, the little sis believes in this whole freewheeling, we're too cool for labels, we're just hanging out type of thing.

So to recap - My sister and I are BOTH bringing the boys (her's is newer than mine) in our lives to my dad's house. For Thanksgiving. It's freaking me out. I swear that just last week, we were teenagers crammed in the back of my dad's Ford Thunderbird, arguing over leg space, and annoyed that we had to make the trip to Missouri for Thanksgiving again.

Can you believe there is more awesomeness to this post?

I've mentioned how my kitchen skills are absolutely nonexistent before. Well, there is one exception. It's a Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake that my aunt used to make every year. It's full of double layer deliciousness. My mother loved it so much that she got the recipe, and she taught me how to make it. As soon as I was old enough, it became my job to make this dessert whenever requested. The problem is that over the years of growing up and moving, I somehow lost the beloved recipe. I had bits and pieces in my head, but not the whole thing. Well, over the last 2 months, I've racked my brain, searched the internet, done some testing, and come up with the recipe!! No one has had it since my aunt passed away years and years ago. My dad let it slip that I'm making it this year, and I have some very excited relatives expecting it. It's a lot of pressure. I better not screw this one up.

I also started packing last night. I'm trying to justify 8 pairs of shoes for 5 days. I know I won't wear them all, but I need all 8 pairs. Not a single one can be left behind. I also have 3 different outfits for Thanksgiving day because I just don't know what I will feel like wearing. I'm ridiculous. It seems Kaeli has inherited my overpacking gene. The bag she created to keep herself entertained is insane. I had to talk her down from 6 Barbies to only 2. 2 stuffed animals instead of 4. Then there are the movies, music, books, crayons, markers, coloring book, and sketch pad. All of which are unexpendable. I could barely get it zipped! Plus, I'm in Texas were it is currently 60 degrees, and I consider today an absolutely freezing day. In KC, the high for the entire time I'm there is like 50 degrees! I will be spending the majority of my time in 40 degree weather. OMG. I had to cram hats, gloves, scarves, and the heaviest of our decidedly non heavy winter coats into the suitcases also.

I'm super excited, though. I can't wait to see my family! I can't wait to eat! Thanksgiving is seriously the best meal of the year!!

In case I'm not around for the rest of the week, I hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving!!

5 comments:

Cherish said...

I totally noticed the important part of that paragraph! How cool is it that you and your sis get to have your men there? Sounds like it will be a lot of fun even with the cold weather.

On another note, I gave you an award on my blog.

Astarte said...

WOW! Oh, I know it will go well. Daddy will love a man who loves his little girl enough to get her a pricey purple bag. Have a wonderful time!!!

Deleted said...

Holy Wow the pressure on that dessert!! Hope all goes well! lo
Scary..hehe

Grace said...

Sounds like it's going to be an AWESOME thanksgiving!

I think it's super great that KC is going with you! How fantastic is that??

it's fantastic but...I'm jealous.

Have a great time! I love family!

Maggie May said...

found you through Pacing the Panic Room...i also have a Hannah Montana obsessed 6 yr old daughter :)
sweet niblets!