Sunday, December 28, 2008
Friday, December 26, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
I have a tattoo. Just one tiny one on my foot. I've had it for almost 2 years, and I love it. It's especially cute with flip flops (the standard footwear in Texas). Sometimes, when I'm feeling like a rebel, I wear a skirt to work with heels and proudly display my tat. The other accountants are shocked by my recklessness.
Please ignore the bad pedicure. It's winter, and I've been busy. Don't judge me!
Y'all may remember me telling you that over Thanksgiving my darling sister, aka Cool Aunt Kari, gave my daughter a Create Your Own Body Art and Tattoo kit. It contained over 400 temporary tattoos. My sweet innocent 6 year old walked out of her room today looking like this.
I am such a good influence! Phase 1 of creating an exact Kristi replica is complete.
Monday, December 22, 2008
She actually left the home list next to the TV, and every time a commercial came on with a toy she wanted, she wrote it on the list. That girl is resourceful.
I was surprised to find that she had added some things to her school list. Some of which made me chuckle. One touches on a subject I haven't really discussed with y'all. As soon as I read it my heart fell out of my chest.
- A hamster - I am not opposed to the thought of a hamster. Every kid should have one at least once, right. She's asked for one before because her older cousin has one. Kaeli agreed months ago to wait until she's older. We already have a very needy dog. Cleaning out a hamster cage is not something I want to add to the list.
- A brother - Um. Yeah. I had to ask her about this one. She explained by saying that she doesn't want just any brother. She wants my friend's son to be her brother. They were born 6 weeks apart and spent every moment together as babies and toddlers. They were even in the same day care classes. She was so heartbroken when he moved to Oklahoma. They talk on the phone sometimes, and my friend and I have discussed having them be pen pals since they've learned to write now.
- A shooting star - How absolutely adorable is that? I didn't think like that as a kid. She's so much more imaginative than I ever was. It's a little late for Christmas, but I'm thinking that naming a star after her might be a good birthday present this summer.
Then, (brace yourselves) tucked in at the bottom she wrote that she wanted her dad to be alive. It's hard even writing that sentence. I hadn't decided if I was going to approach this subject on my blog. It's not really fun, cheery Christmas time material. I rarely discuss it. I hate how everyone immediately feels sorry for me. My friend, Maria, is the only one I really talk about it with. Mostly because she is the only one who still asks questions about it. She's a psych major, and I think she is using me as a real life case study. Kaeli's dad passed away when she was 4. We weren't married (mostly because I was young and headstrong...my parents had recently divorced and marriage seemed pointless to me), but we lived together and talked about getting married when I finished college. She really never knew a life without both of us. Then, in the blink of an eye, everything changed.
I worry constantly about Kaeli. She was so young when the car accident happened. She was there when the police officer came to the door to tell us. She immediately knew something was wrong, but death is a hard concept to explain to a 4 1/2 year old. I answered every question. Confirmed every memory. I moved us to a new town so she could be closer to his parents. I started a whole new life for us. I think she has adjusted well. She's happy and flourishing, but as she gets older, it gets harder. I've been able to grieve and move forward, but she's still grasping the concept of death. I think she understands it better than most 6 year olds, though. When something like the Santa letter happens (and it does happen but more in the form of proclaiming that she doesn't have a dad when other kids ask her why they never see her dad), it just opens the wound. I worry that I'm not doing things right. That I'm not helping her enough. Should I talk about him to her more? Are there enough pictures? How does it affect her that her grandmother can't mention him without sobbing? Does her grandmother lean on her a little too much? She is just a kid, after all. Was it a bad idea to move Kaeli so close to them? Is she really happy, or do I just think she is happy? Am I too hard on her because it's just me now? Is she going to spend 20 years in therapy because her crazy mother is overprotective and handles everything wrong? It's just constant uncertainty.
Sorry to be a total Debbie Downer. This Santa letter seems to have shaken me more than I originally thought. Kids should seriously come with a manual. This parenting thing is tough!
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Then, 5 months and 90 posts ago, I began blogging. I think y'all can tell how much I've enjoyed this. It turns out that only a few of my real life friends actually pay attention to this crazy thing. I love that most of the wonderful, funny, and interesting people I have met here are people that I would never have gotten the chance to know without this blog.
Now, as a result of a
Off I go to spread my name and face all over the internet. It's the first step in world domination.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
After work today I decided to run to Ulta (it's right down the street from me. I love how convenient it is!!) to
It's a week before Christmas. It's 6:30pm. It is, expectedly, very crowded. I browsed a little, then grabbed my new bottle of perfume and headed to the line. The line must have had like 15 people in it. There were 3 cashiers feverishly working the registers. After all, it's a week before Christmas. When it was my turn the very nice, but obviously exhausted, cashier rang up my purchases. All of the sudden, a woman walks up to the registers.
Woman: Are you the manager?
Manager: I am one of them. What can I do for you?
Woman: (all self righteous and snooty) I just want to let you know that I am leaving because no one came to help me in the make-up section.
Seriously? Why do people act like that? The store is packed with people. If she needed help that badly why didn't she just POLITELY ask one of the employees that was on the floor. I know they were out there because I talked to a very nice one while I was looking at perfume. (He even sprayed one on me that smells so good I might have to go back for it!) Does she really think that the manager cares that they just lost one rude customer when there are so many more patient and pleased ones?
I guess it's my battle wounds from serving tables for so long, but I just hate when people are rude to customer service managers and employees. Especially around the holidays. These folks are busy and working their butts off!
It's Christmas. Isn't that the time for a little extra patience and understanding? Peace on earth, good will toward men (and women) and all that jazz? Some people just don't understand Christmas Spirit!!!
Maybe she should listen to the song.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
I haven't gotten a gift for Kaeli's teacher yet!!!!
Their little Christmas party is Friday, so I have to come up with something quickly. I'm at such a loss for a good teacher gift. I thought about getting a cute coffee mug and putting candy and a Starbucks gift card inside. Is a Starbucks gift card just too cliche? I'm sure teachers get a million dollars worth of them each year, but I just don't have the energy to be more creative. She's a great teacher, and Kaeli loves her so I don't want to just do nothing.
What do y'all think? Is a Starbucks gift card ok? Do y'all have any better/more creative/reasonably priced ideas? I need your help Internets!!!!
Monday, December 15, 2008
In an effort to jump start the blog brain, I stole this questionnaire from my friend, Tabatha. If you check her #26, it says that she wants to read my answers the most. Therefore, I am satisfying a friend's wish.
So here it goes.
50 Things About Me…
2. Have you ever smoked a cigarette? My deep dark secret is that I used to be a hardcore smoker. I loved cigarettes more than anything. There was nothing better after a long night at work than a cold beer and a nicotine fix. It was never my intention to smoke forever. I always used college and my job as a server as the reason, so when I graduated and stopped waiting tables I quit smoking. It was (and sometimes still is) SO HARD, but I'm really glad I quit.
3. Do you own a gun? No I do not, but Rob has two. I told him that I'll only own one if I can get it in pink with rhinestones.
4. What flavor do you add to your drink at Sonic? I'm a Peach Tea kind of girl
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Depends on the appointment. I dread the yearly girl business appointment more than anything.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I don't generally think of hot dogs, but now I'm thinking a chili cheese dog sounds delish
7. Favorite Christmas Song? Frosty the Snowman I know, I'm a total dork for that.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? COFFEE! Lots and lots of coffee.
9. Can you do push ups? I do push up bras. Does that count?
10. What is your favorite movie? Such a hard question. I'm a movie junkie, so there are so many favorites. The Princess Bride is my favorite from when I was a kid. I love stupid comedies like Zoolander, Superbad, and Stepbrothers. A League of Their Own is very very high on the list.
11. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? I have a ring with Kaeli's birthstone that I got for Mother's Day one year that I love.
12. Favorite hobby? I don't think I'm a hobby type of girl. I like to do a lot of things, but I don't consider shopping and blog reading hobbies.
13. Do you work with people who idolize you? That's a big fat NO. I'm the youngest and least experienced in my group which leads to me feeling like a total idiot sometimes. I do think they are
14. Do you have ADD? No. It feels like it sometimes, though
15. What’s one trait that you dislike about yourself? I worry about things that are beyond my control way too much. I think I tend to be a little lazy also
16. Middle name(s)- Marie
17. Name a thought at this moment- I should be getting ready for bed.
18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday: I didn't buy anything yesterday, but over the weekend I bought a Christmas present for Rob's almost SIL, finally got my Christmas cards made and ordered, and wrapping paper to finish all the presents
19. Name 3 drinks you regularly have: coffee, diet coke w/lime, anything with vodka
20. Current worry right now? I just checked on my daughter to find her sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor. Why would she choose that over her big comfy bed? Should I move her to her bed? Is sleeping on the floor really a good idea?
21. Current dislike right now? The cough I'm hearing from Kaeli's room. While she sleeps on the floor.
22. Favorite place to be? On my couch watching movies
23. How did you bring in the New Year? At a party with Rob and his friends
24. Favorite vacation spot? Anywhere that has alcohol
25. Name three people who will complete this? I'm not sure. Tab already did it. Maybe Cherish? Coming up with 3 people is hard.
26. Whose answers do you want to read the most? Honestly, everyone. I love when people fill these things out.
27. What color shirt are you wearing? It's blue with ruffles. It's one of my favorites.
28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I'm not sure that I ever have. I'm totally cool with cotton.
29. Can you whistle? No. I've tried and tried, but the ability to whistle eludes me.
30. Favorite color? Purple Purple Purple
31. Would you be a pirate? I don't think I could pull off the look. Eye patches and peg legs aren't really my thing.
32. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower. It would be cruel and unusual punishment for anyone in the vicinity.
33. Favorite girl’s name? Kaeli, of course. I love baby names (I'm totally addicted to Swistle's Baby Names). My favorite changes, but I'm really loving Sophie and Harper right now.
34. Favorite boy’s name? Sawyer, Holden, and Brody
35. What’s in your pocket right now? My cell phone
36. Last person that made you laugh? Kaeli
37. Best bed sheets as a child? I had NKOTB sheets and comforter when I was 9. I loved those so so much.
38. Worst injury you’ve ever had? You know that fleshy part of your hand between your thumb and your index finger? I cut it open on a margarita glass when I was bartending one Valentine's Day. I had to get 10 stitches. Not Fun.
39. Do you love where you live? I really really don't.
40. How many TVs do you have in your house? 3! 3 tvs, and there are only 2 people in my house. How crazy is that?
41. Who would you like to meet? Tough one. I think I'd like to meet the cast of The View. I don't know why, but I wish I was on that show!! And Perez Hilton because he seems like a fun dude to hang out with. And Edward Cullen.
42. How many dogs do you have? One very badly behaved dog.
43. Does someone have a crush on you? Hopefully, it is more of a complete adoration of all things Kristi
45. What is your favorite fictional book? This is even harder than the movie question. I read so many that it's hard to choose a favorite. I'm more into authors I think. I tend to be very loyal when I find one that I like. I'm still totally obsessed with Twilight. Also, anything by Cecelia Ahern. If you haven't read her, I suggest you do it right now. I've been considering a whole post about her greatness in one of my Book Nerd Editions!! I love The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth Series. Confessions of a Shopaholic Series. I could go on and on.
46. What is your favorite candy? Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Peanut Butter M&Ms. I like peanut butter.
47. What is your favorite sports team? Football makes me happy! (I'm in the semifinal playoff game for my work fantasy league!!) Go Houston Texans!! I've always loved the Kansas City Chiefs, but they are super sucking lately. I like the Manning brothers so I root for the Colts and the Giants too. With every fiber of my being, I hate the Oakland Raiders.
48. What song do you want played at your funeral? I've never really thought about that before. How depressing. My family would probably pick something sweet and nice, but I say that they should go a little crazy and do a New Kids on the Block/N*Sync/Britney Spears medley. That would be awesome.
49. What were you doing 12 AM last night? Sleeping. Staying up past 11pm is impossible in my rapidly increasing age.
50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up this morning? Bed comfortable. Mondays Suck. Don't want to get up. How late would I be if I push the snooze one more time?
Thursday, December 4, 2008
This is a first.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
So cute. So trendy. Such a great way to keep your hair out of your face.
Kaeli has lots of fabulous headbands.
But I just don't get this look.
It's everywhere, and I just don't understand it. Why? Why are they doing this? It looks so ridiculous. Who thought that this was cool? And why are others following?
Monday, December 1, 2008
It was so great spending time with my family. We really don’t get together near as much as we should. Geography is a Bitch.
I haven’t gotten the full update from my dad yet, but Rob seemed to be a hit. It was nice meeting Kari’s new boyfriend, also. He seemed cool. Kaeli had a lot of fun playing with him.
Thursday night (after we turned off the A&M game because it was just too sad to watch), my dad brought out a bunch of stuff that my sister and I left at our old house when we moved out. The majority of it was Kari’s, but he has been holding on to a necklace of mine for years. I thought I had lost it! I'm so glad to have it back. Then, he did the unthinkable and pulled out all kinds of embarrassing pictures of me for Rob to look at. So uncool. I was really trying to hide some of my uglier years from him.
Kaeli was spoiled rotten by my sister. I didn’t really exist in her eyes the entire time Kari was around. I think she even considered trying to go home with her instead of me!! Cool Aunt Kari bought her this Make Your Own Body Art Kit (!!!!), and they put fake tattoos all over themselves. Payback will be sweet. When Kari has kids I will buy the most ridiculous presents I can find.
Kansas City is freaking cold. Maybe it’s just the temperature spoiled Texan in me, but I don’t think I ever felt warm. I saw people walking around in shorts when I had, like, 6 sweaters on at all times. It even started snowing Saturday before we left.
I was sad to leave my family, but I was so glad to be heading home. Then, I felt a little weird because I don’t really consider my dad’s house ‘home’ anymore. It’s not the house I grew up in. I didn’t even know which drawer had the spoons. I guess the time has come. I’m a (quasi) adult with a life separate from my parents.
I also brought back a really nasty cold. I guess the weather changes screwed me up. We got to Rob’s early evening on Saturday. I was planning on leaving early Sunday to get home, but the cold knocked me on my ass. I left late and ended up spending 7 hours (almost double the normal amount of time) trying to get home. Traffic was insane. I really don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to pull up to my apartment!
That’s it. My holiday in a nutshell. Now it’s back to the daily grind and waiting excitedly for Christmas!!!!!