Friday, October 24, 2008

It's a Magical Place Full of Books, and They Let You Borrow Them For FREE

I've always read a lot, but I've never been a library person.

In fact, the last book I remember checking out of the library was Ramona, The Pest when I was 8. I vaguely remember the library in my high school, and I'm not sure that I ever went in there. I did research in the library in college, but I just photocopied what I needed at got the heck out.

My parents kept me supplied with lots and lots of books. My mom was addicted to the self help section of the nearest bookstore, and she would always buy me whatever books I wanted. Seriously, how can you say "No" to a kid asking for books? (I’m coming to the realization that I was much more spoiled than I have ever given my parents credit for)

That’s how I’ve lived my life. If I wanted a book, I went to the store and bought it. At 10 years old, I had amassed a huge book collection. Most of which was sold in a neighbor’s garage sale when I was 13 and decided that those books were too kidish for my new teenage awesomeness. As an adult, it has resulted in a ridiculous amount of books piled onto shelves and thrown into boxes.

It’s only been made worse since I started commuting to work by bus last year. I’m going through books like crazy. I started thinking about heading to the library to cure my addiction, but never got around to it.

Then, a couple of things happened.

First, Astarte started up a book club over at Literally Booked. I’ve always wanted to be in a book club, but none of my friends were ever big readers like me. I considered being in Oprah’s Book Club, but the pandemonium surrounding it is just too much. I have read some of Oprah’s Book Club selections after the insanity, and the woman can pick a good book. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides was fantastic.

Second, the economy went into a crazy downward spiral, and I’m, irrationally, afraid that Kaeli, me, and the rest of the world will be living in cardboard boxes and standing in bread lines before things get better. I figured that the library would be a good way to cut back and save more while we ride out this crazy mess.

I decided that Literally Booked’s very first selection, The Heretic’s Daughter, would be my first library book. It was surprisingly easy. Last week, I registered online and even put myself on the list for the book (I was 21st in line!). When I checked my account yesterday, the book was ready for me to pick up! I went into the library (so close to were I live), and they had the book in an envelope with my name on it. I even picked up a couple more that I’ve been meaning to read. I was also given a bright shiny new library card! I felt so special.

I should admit that I felt slightly silly at first because I didn’t know where they kept the special held books, and I didn’t even know where to check out!! There were 8 year olds getting around the library better than me. (Don’t worry, I still remember the Dewey Decimal System)

Anyway, it was fun walking out of the library with 3 new books to read. (I am going to miss that new book smell, though).

I have to say, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

4 comments:

Cherish said...

I havent been to a library (other than the school's) for years. But I also havent had any time for pleasure reading for the last six years or so. I REALLY want to join Astarte's book club but I think Im going to wait a little. Have fun with it and Ill be joining you girls in a month or two...

Renegade said...

Yay for books! I happen to like reading the same book over and over again, which makes me more of a buyer than a "renter". But you should never buy books from places like Barnes or Books-A-Million (not that I have anything against them.)

I get all my books from Half-Price Books. They have them all over Houston. You can buy books for cheap. You can also sell your books back to them when you are finished!

Deleted said...

Sad as this is about to sound, I don't tell people I read books. lol,
I have been to the library just last month, and beside that I raid the second hand book store when we are waiting for our food at our fish and chip store.
I love nothing more than silly books that I read to Violet the most! She has just as many as I do at home right now.. hehe
Glad your into it again :)

Astarte said...

I love the library! I don't know how people Kindle. Until there's some smell you can download so it smells like a book, no thank you.

I'm excited to talk to people about the book!!! I have to get my butt in gear and think up some good discussion questions, too. I really, really liked it.