Thursday, April 2, 2009

American Girl

I've been meaning to post some pictures of Kaeli's trip to American Girl for, like, a week. For those of y'all with sons, or girls not into dolls, American Girl is a BIG DEAL. I know y'all have been waiting on pins and needles to see all the crazy things that go on behind those big huge doors.

Tess* came into our lives last summer, when Kaeli's great aunt presented Kaeli with her very first American Girl. She's been a pretty important fixture since then.

When Kaeli was on Spring Break, I wanted to do something fun and special so I decided that her first trip to AG was in order.

I wasn't quite sure Rob could handle that much girl-ness, but he was a total trooper.

The one thing I took away from the AG visit is that little girls are freaking crazy when it comes to dolls.






Kaeli giving Tess some love.





Tess at the DOLL HAIR SALON. I still shake my head when I think about the fact that I paid $20 to get a DOLL'S hair done.





Kaeli posing with the finished 'do



The amount of stuff in this bag is unreal. Earrings for the doll. (I convinced Kaeli that stick on earrings were better than regular earrings because we shouldn't poke holes in Tess. That's right folks, you can choose to have your AG Doll's ears pierced!) A new pet cat, Ginger. A new sporty skateboarding outfit for Tess (I think Rob influenced that one A LOT). A sleeping bag for Tess. And her favorite score of the day, matching pajamas for Kaeli and Tess. She's been begging for matching outfits since the moment she got the doll, but I'm not ready to make that leap into crazy just yet. Maybe next time. I had to literally hide the pajamas one night so that I could finally wash them!



Tess after a wardrobe change.


Next was lunch with Tess. There is a whole lotta pink in that bistro! It was a little overpriced (Duh), but the food was good and Kaeli really enjoyed herself.


And last but not least, a picture with all of the Dolls of the Year. Each one of these dolls is only available for one year. I'm considering getting her this year's doll.


All in all it was a lot of fun. I can order the stuff online, but actually going to one of the few stores was really exciting for Kaeli. She already has her next trip planned. In her mind, that trip includes another doll (because Tess needs a sister) and bunk beds for the dolls to sleep on. And more matching outfits, of course. Oy with the poodles already. (If you know the show that line is from then you get to be my new best friend!)



* Kaeli named her doll Tess after one of the characters in Camp Rock. Tess happens to be the blonde bratty mean one. Then, I realized that Kaeli also prefers Sharpay, the blonde bratty mean one in High School Musical. Then, I started wondering if that meant that Kaeli aspires to be a blonde bratty mean girl. But then I realized that I spent alot of a few months ago my late teens and early 20s being a blonde bratty mean girl. I'm definitely seeing a little bit of a blonde bratty mean girl in my future. Fortunately, she's the sweetest funniest little girl, but I'm not sure that I can avoid it. My mother always told me that you reap what you sow. Damn. I really really hate it when the things she said when I was younger turn out to be right.

7 comments:

Cherish said...

OK, I want a girl really, really bad but I think I could do without this kind of thing in my life. I was never into girly things growing up and its kind of hard to imagine that I would do much in that way with a daughter. Go you for being so willing to indulge the little miss.

TUWABVB said...

I feel like these places are created to gouge parents of their money by exploiting their softspots (kind of like doggy day care for those of us without kids), but the look on her face makes me think it was all worth it! I just love little girl stuff like that - the hairstylist? Too funny! Kaeli is adorable and the best part is that she seem to appreciate everything and not take it for granted. I'm so glad you guy had a great time!

Chantal said...

That whole American Girl phenomenon scares me a bit. It sorta makes me happy I have boys.

stacie d said...

I was just at the American Girl store here in L.A. yesterday! My nieces live a couple hours away and every time they come for a sleepover we must go to the store! (I think they look forward to that more than a night at Auntie's!)

Hopefully you'll never need to visit the Doll Hospital - but I hear they come back with a little hospital ID bracelet. So cute! I wish they had this stuff 20 yrs ago.

Whimsy said...

Okay, as frightening as all of this is (and DOLL HOSPITAL? that kills me) - I'm sort of excited to enter the Doll Phase with Alice. I mean, it's crazy, right? But also a little bit cute and fun?

I will never let my husband see this post. NEVER. It's better if these things just take him by surprise. If he knew that DOLL SALONS existed, I think he would lay down and DIE. Right now.

Astarte said...

She is *so* beautiful. You're in trouble in a few years, whether she turns into a little blonde bitch or not!!!

Unknown said...

I don't remember you being a blonde bratty mean girl ???