Friday, April 10, 2009

Everbody Was Kung Fu Fighting

I totally don't know why that song is stuck in my head.

Kaeli brought home a VERY bad grade on her math test this week.

The thing is, she had all of the answers right. Except the last 10 which she just DIDN'T ANSWER. When I asked her why she didn't answer the questions, she says that she doesn't have enough time, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Especially since, when we go over the questions, she knows the answer immediately. It's simple subtraction, and she has managed to complete the same test format in previous weeks.

I need to contact the teacher and find out if Kaeli is just getting distracted or playing around when she should be taking the test, but that is a different post for a different day.

Anyway, I know she is only in the first grade, but poor performance on tests (when I know she understands the material) is just unacceptable to me.

Her punishment was no TV and an early bedtime until she brought home a better grade. Presumably on next week's math test.

She did not take this well one bit. It's actually the first time she has ever seriously complained about being punished. In the past, she has just taken whatever sentence I have handed down and accepted it with no comments.

In all honesty, her punishment is super lenient. I told her that it wouldn't count over the weekend (because of the holiday and all), and it is okay if, after she does her homework, she watches TV at her grandmother's house. This is a strictly in our house punishment. When we get home she has to study her math and be in bed at 7:30 (normally it's 8). This all started Wednesday night, she's out of school Friday and Monday, plus the weekend, so, essentially, there are only 4 nights where the punishment will be enforced. I don't really care about the actual punishment as much as I care that she realizes that she is being punished for her grade. Does that make sense?

Back to my point, she is not taking this well AT ALL. She burst into tears while we were talking about it. She cried out "This punishment is HORRIBLE." She kept saying that she is a good kid, and it feels like I don't appreciate her. I had to stifle my laughter as I explained that I do love her and appreciate her. Why did I almost burst into hysterical laughter, you ask?

Because I used to say the exact same shit to my parents! Whenever I would get in trouble for breaking curfew or talking back, I would tell them that they don't realize how good they have it. I could be out doing drugs and drinking, but I'm not. They are so lucky, and they don't even APPRECIATE it. Of course, I was a teenager before I brought out this logic on my parents, but Kaeli is pulling out the big guns at 6!!! I think I have created a monster.

I know I should call my parents and inform them of this new development, but I don't think I can handle the pure glee that I would hear in their voices.

5 comments:

Kylie said...

Haha! From the mouths of babes!!

TUWABVB said...

I'm sure your mom will laugh heartily at the irony of payback. But honestly, what a smart comment for such a young girl - she gets it pretty early and oh Lord, you are going to have your hands full in high school! I love hearing stories about her!

Astarte said...

Shit, now that song is stuck in MY head!!!!

I think it's not even so much the punishment as their reaction to it, since what we really want is for whatever it is to make an impression. It sounds like you certainly struck a chord with Miss Muffet!

Anyway, I can tell from the photos on your last post that you're a totally horrible, unappreciative mother who neither takes her child anywhere nor lavishes her with any gifts. You bad meanie!

Cherish said...

All I can do is laugh :p Kids!

Chantal said...

Ha, isn't it fun when all our bad behaviour comes back to bite us in the butt.