Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Let This Be One of those Things She Forgets When She Gets Older

I think I just took the award for the most ridiculous and pointless thing ever said to a 6 year old.

Kaeli has been having some listening issues lately, and it's grinding on my last nerve. My usually sweet, well-behaved, and compliant daughter literally hears nothing that comes out of my mouth. I have to say something 5 times before she acknowledges me, and even then she barely carries out any of the tasks I ask her to do.

I'm pretty positive that this phase is brought on by the end of the school year. It's the last week of school, and I think both of us are just tired of the routine. We're both irritable and exhausted.

Last night, after battling with her for what felt like an eternity (but was probably only 20 minutes) I took away TV privileges for the rest of the school year. (school ends Thursday, but I thought it sounded more drastic worded the other way!!) She did not take this well and mumbled under her breath all the way to her bedroom. This morning, she was complaining about how mean and unfair I was for taking away the TV (the kid needs her Disney channel), and I said something that I'm still shaking my head about.

Kaeli: But it's not fair that you get to watch TV and I don't.
Me: (are y'all ready for this piece of brilliance that I am about to share?) Well, I listen to me so I get to watch TV. You don't listen to me so you don't get to watch TV.

Seriously? I LISTEN TO ME. It doesn't even make sense. As soon as it came out of my mouth I knew it was stupid. At the same time, I realized it was totally something my own mother would say which freaks me out on so many levels. When did I turn into my mother? I didn't see that happen at all.

If I expect to be able to battle with her when she is a teenager, I am going to have to have better comebacks. Dear God that one was shameful!

8 comments:

Cherish said...

Forget the crazy things kids say, parents usually come up with a few out-there lines of their own!

I realise ALL THE TIME how much Im becoming my mother. I think it bothers me less and less as time goes on.

Grace said...

LMAO! AWww that's cute.. I LISTEN TO ME =)

stacie d said...

I love it! And how did she respond to that great line?

P.S. Is it bad that sometimes I don't listen to me? I tell myself one thing and do another.

Chantal said...

LOL that is so funny. I know, I hear myself sounding like my Dad and I wanna cry!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is totally hilarious and something I would probably say. I dread the upcoming years. I fear the more obnoxious my daughter gets, the more stupid things are going to come out of my mouth.

Astarte said...

HA!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHA!

At least she didn't point out that you're an idiot, right? Mine do that all the time. If I make one verbal slip, BAM! I'm immediately corrected. Actually, what you said probably made perfect sense to her.

Congratulations, you are now six. :)

If it makes you feel any better at all, Patrick's doing the same damn thing, and it's making me NUTS.

Whimsy said...

I think it's brilliant.

TUWABVB said...

I guess this is why we aren't allowed to question the logic of parents. :)

At least you recognize the humor in it!